Exchange 2013/2016 on-premise for all students and staff at a large university
here.

Our default user quota is 3Gb (2.9Gb warning / 3Gb no send / 4Gb no receive).
Users may request additional storage in 2Gb increments up to 11Gb (10.9 / 11 /
12). When they hit the 7Gb mark we setup an 50Gb Exchange online archive for
them automatically. We require most users to setup Outlook in cached mode and
encourage them to have all mailbox items cached (rather than just 12 months
which is the default).

The drivers for our numbers are 1) Outlook performance with large OST files; 2)
Many departments and individual users run systems that should have been
decommissioned long ago; 3) Small SSDs in some devices are better used for
things other than cached email; and 4) we got tired of working with people who
have jumbo mailboxes and tried to pull everything to their tablet/mobile device.

We are planning on moving to O365 at the end of the year. Once there we will
probably give everyone a large archive and set the default quota to something
small (5Gb is the number I hear the most) and not even offer primary mailbox
expansion requests.

For backups we use 'Exchange Native Protection Mode' which is essentially 'no
backups, lots of copies'. We currently keep 4 copies of each mailbox in two
different data centers, and our design would permit us to actually spread
across four data centers with only IP address and HLB/GSLB changes. We lag the
transaction logs 48 hours on one copy. I currently have 60,000 mailboxes and
600T of disk in the environment.

/jim

-----
James Rupprecht