I have used Barracuda's on-premise and cloud archiving tool.  It works
great, and you set the retention policies.  Users can delete and you'll
still have a tool for discovery.  You can also allow users to search their
own archives via the Barracuda portal or an Outlook add-on.  you can use
that tool to justify low storage quotas, since messages are in the archive
anyway.  You can use it with on-premise or Office 365 and I assume
non-Exchange systems.

Based on the level of the tool you purchase, you can also replicate your
folder structure.

There are other tools like Mimecast.  Barracuda is just what I've used a
number of times without issue.