On 2006-02-24 at 11:41 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> Doesn't Cyrus's sieve subaddress facility handle this already? We do
> unauthenticated delivery to Cyrus over LMTP and have unofficial support
> for +subaddresses, which get delivered to the user's inbox unless they
> have written appropriate Sieve code.

Is that a generic case or an instance of writing a new Sieve rule for
each folder?  If the former, I'm interested; if the latter, I do it at
work.

The OP's issue was that he didn't want to be setting ACL entries for
each sub-folder; if setting an ACL is an issue, extra Sieve rules are
likely to be an issue too.

Cyrus supports +subaddress delivery to a sub-folder of INBOX called
subaddress, automatically, _if_ it has 'p' permission for the
authenticated user; unauthenticated LMTP needs to use the "anyone"
identifier.  If I deliver to LMTP (local socket) using a transport which
has rcpt_include_affixes set, then all that's needed is:

 <tag> SETACL subfoldername anyone p

in IMAP to allow the delivery to work.

The OP is wanting to not need to set the Post privilege by making Exim
authenticate as a client using the same credential Cyrus has, so that
all inbound email to user fred is authenticated as posted BY user fred.

That scenario worries me at several levels, but the lack of
mailbox-owner's control over which sub-folders a malicious Internet
denizen sends mail to is the scenario which comes to mind.

At least, that's my interpretation of the situation.  Dennis, if I've
got this wrong then sorry, and please correct me.
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.