>    There's a --disable-gcc-checking (that's probly not the right
> syntax) you can add to './configure', but that warning is for
> RedHat's version of 2.96. Mandrakes 2.96 is not the same.

I remember using the switch when I compiled mplayer. As I recall, there
was a warning that basically said you were on your own when using that
release of the compiler. Building nevertheless resulted in a working
mplayer, although I find xine still able to play some stuff that mplayer
has problems with.

Of couirse, YMMV.