> "Lyvim" == Lyvim Xaphir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Lyvim> ... I have seen other projects much less
Lyvim> complicated than the Mandrake distro
Lyvim> tackled with much longer beta cycles,
Lyvim> ... why the short beta cycle?

I don't think the beta cycle needs to be so
short, but there are some benefits to having
a short (6 month) cycle between releases.

I have a very nice Dell SX260 paperweight on my
desk.  It's a wonderful box, fast, small, and very
quiet.  It is only a little more useful than
a paperweight, because the motherboard is based on
the Intel 845G chipset, with the associated network and graphics card problems.

I do have something of an OS cobbled together from
the Cooker, but it is not the most stable.  We
would love to get more of these boxes, but cannot
deploy them until a more stable release supports
the hardware.

Vendors need to be encouraged to work with the
kernel and XFree86 to make sure that new hardware
will be supported in a timely fashion.  If the
vendors would do so, then we might not need such
frequent releases.

What is the track record of other vendors?  I have
been instructed to look at IBM hardware on our
next purchase, because they have the reputation of
supporting Linux more fully than Dell.

Dell's response to my support query was "we only
support Windows XP".