On Saturday 08 March 2003 04:07 am, Adrian Golumbovici wrote:
> Ummm... But then again. I can start X and run linux just fine after I boot
> without that parameter. Does that mean the mapping of the framebuffer is
> back to normal after boot?!? I would love to shove this motherboard up the
> manufacturers ... behind. :) But how come other OS (I hate to even
> pronounce M$ product names :) ) have no prob with it?
>
> Before I am going with my mobo back to the store where I bought it (though
> I have it since 4 months and doubt they would accept a refund just based on
> "linux doesn't work with it with 1GB of ram...), I was wondering if there
> is anything else I could try to find out more about where it chokes so I
> can be 100% sure it is the mobo's fault and not the fault of linux? And
> BTW, I picked a random graphics mode at boot (vga=ask and selected 6 -
> 80x60) and it worked...
>
> Best regards,
> Adrian

Well, try two 1024Mb memory sticks and I bet you will see more than just the
framebuffer problem.

Windows does not use all of memory right away while linux does ("unused memory
is wasted memory") so I would imagine that IF windows trusts the BIOS for
memory and peripheral maps that you would encounter crashing when your memory
use of memory is similar to that of linux.

This behavior is almost identical to a performance encountered in 2001 with
8.0 (2.4 kernel) on a Dell notebook when mem was upgraded from 128M to 256M.
As soon as mem was upgraded past 192M, a "Bad Bridge Mapping" was
encountered, and using the enterprise kernel resulted in an ACPI error
reported on top of that.  Windoze was oblivious to the problem entirely (I
don't think it used the BIOS report of mapping of PCI Bridge, but it may
never have used enough memory).  Kernel 2.2, which is not built to trust the
BIOS, worked fine even at full 512M.

remember, the video framebuffer is independent of the normal X driver (and I
am somewhat curious about the video card), and is supposed to use some
memory.  I find it strange that the normal kernel which uses about 892 or
896M of memory ran at 800 but not at 900...  If you have interest, it might
be instructive to find where exactly one encounters the kernel panic in terms
of memory usage.

Civileme