[snip]

Uhm...from what I read there it's a portmap/RPC problem...good thing I don't run portmap anywhere :)

It is a RPC library problem in glibc. This is just an example of the impact. named uses RPC stuff extensivly also... so if you run a DNS you might want to worry a bit.

Combo remote exploit using portmap/rpc problem and kernel root is not
good....

Agreed.

I keep up with this stuff, I have over 100 machines to keep
secure... ;)

  I usually keep up with this stuff too...but since I don't use
  portmap I didn't pay attention to it when it went through bugtraq
  (if it did go through it).

I saw it thru CERT.

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology