Hi guys,

I have a semi OT question about packet filter firewalls.

Up till now, I have used linux IPCHAINS and IPTABLES firewalls were one was
required, and never had a problem...

I just got hold of a DLINK DSL504 and set it up with a mixture of NAT and
portforwarding.. all of which went fine.

Then I did the usual thing when setting up a firewall, I set the firewall to
block everything, and then enabled the usual suspects, SSH, SMTP, HTTPD,
HTTPS,  and so on. which were all portforwarded to two linux boxes on the
inside net..

Unfortunatly, when enabled, the firewall blocked all NAT traffic as well...
so with the firewall on, I can't do anything at all.. but my web sites still
get access, and my mail server works..

Does anyone have any experiance with router firmware firewalls and what I
can do to get NAT working without opening the whole thing up??

I have linux IPTABLES filters setup on the linux machines as well, but I
want external port scans to show the ports as dropping all packets to closed
ports, not "closed" as they are now.
Since that end of things is done by the router, that is where I have to
tackle it.

Anyone know anything that would be useful here??  (There is no MASQ setting
in the routers firewall config. :-)

regards

Franki