On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 08:33, Patrick Mayer wrote:
> Good day everyone,
>
> After getting my hand on the new version of Winex 3, I have observed that it
> is much slower than it's predecessor, especially when run on Mandrake 9.1.
>
> On remedy to this is not to use the pre-built RPM and compile from CVS
> instead: I saw a TWO-FOLD increase in display performance afterwards. It is
> really worth it, even if there were some minor problems associated the
> compilation (mostly library dependencies that were easily soled using urpmi
> (tm)).

Patrick,

I brought up this very issue early on in the Transgaming forums, and
thru email.  This was with version 1.0 or something similar.  I was told
that recompilation for the processor would not result in significantly
greater performance.  I felt that this was wrong, but never bothered to
download the CVS version.  So I am glad that you posted the results from
your experimentation.

At this point Transgaming should be made aware of this fact and that
*they* should be the ones releasing an athlon (or similar) rpm.  I think
they actually may already be aware of the performance increase, but for
some reason (probably regarding the issue of support) they do not want
to compile for other than i386.

BTW, what moniker do you go by on Transgaming?

> One last small problem that I had to solve was that Winex whined about being
> unable to find the libntdll.so library. A quick search provided it's
> location: /usr/local/lib, which was not added to /etc/ld.so.conf when doing
> the "make install". Manual modification of the file was therefore required,
> followed by ldconfig. Problem solved :)
>
> Time to get back to my Panzer General 2 campaign ;)

I'm still waiting on Morrowind. :(

--LX

--
Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk       Linux Mandrake 9.1