On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 23:36, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 6:31 am, Jack Coates wrote:
>
> > > Well, I found that the problem is not with the sound card, thanks to you
> > > guys. Bjorn gave me a tip in the options cs4232 line with the mpuirq=10,
> > > and I got it up and running, but only in console. Yep, in tty1, I was
> > > able to play an mp3 with mp3blaster.
> > >
> > > But when I get over to the graphical side, running XMMS completely locks
> > > up the system. The mouse is dead, the keyboard is dead, the whole
> > > freakin' thing. It doesn't crash until a sound is made. Attempting to
> > > play an mp3 kills it, and generating a tone with the tone generator
> > > plugin kills the system. So then I wondered if it was something about the
> > > sound system, and I installed Kaboodle, and attempted to play an mp3.
> > > Same deal. DOA.
> > >
> > > I am wondering if its and IRQ problem, but it doesn't seem so. Now, I
> > > appear to be using IRQ9 for mpu and IRQ 5 for sound. IRQ 9 does not show
> > > up in /proc/interrupts, however IRQ 5 is shown to be used by Crystal
> > > Audio Controller.
> > >
> > > Where do I go from here?
> > >
> > > Rob
> >
> > you're a KDE user, aren't you?
> >
> > in the DM you're using (e.g. mdkkdm, kdm, gdm, xdm) make sure that X is
> > not being niced:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg129204.html
> >
> > kcontrol, stop artsd from running with real time priority.
> >
> > xmms, make sure it's using arts output plugin (may need to install
> > xmms-arts), don't allow it to run with realtime either.
> >
> > log out, then CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to make the DM changes take effect,
> > then log back in and you should be fine.
>
> OK, I altered the X stuff (not that I can see how this would effect the crash)
> then I dropped out of KDE and entered Gnome.
>
> Trying XMMS I had the same problem. Start to play the tune (this time an ogg
> file) and the keyboard and touch pad are doa, without any kernel messages.
>
> And I started XMMS for Console, and there were no messages there. And just for
> yucks, I tried mp3blaster in a console window. You guessed it, dead as a
> doorknob.
>
> What the heck could it be? How the heck could I detect it?
>
> Rob

Ok to divide the world in half.  If you are at runlevel 3 (no dm or WM)
and run mpg123 does it look up there as well?  If you run gpm you can
test the mouse as well.  If it does lock up then we know it's not just a
conflict between the WM and the sound system.  If it doesn't that
changes the avenue of attack.

James