Hi Anthony,

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Anthony Roscoe <roscoedes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Been looking around for a solution to this for awhile and figure I would try
> the mailing list. Any ideas? Could it be that Fabric isn't recognizing the
> passphrase prompt?

That's it! Unfortunately, right now Fabric isn't able to easily hook
you into the remote end's prompts other than sudo prompts. This isn't
a terrifically easy problem to solve (it's not unique to Fabric) but
we're working on it. For now, the solution is to make everything as
noninteractive as possible, which for Git means using SSH key based
auth with the Git server and having your key on the system(s) that
need Git access*.

Given some recent inroads I'm hoping Fabric 1.0 will have at least
experimental support for a more interactive mode. Keep an eye on
http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/7 for more info.

Best,
Jeff

* I would say "or use an SSH agent" which is a superior approach than
having your key everywhere, but our SSH layer Paramiko doesn't do that
either :( hoping to submit a patch to them sometime if I can figure
out a fix for that too.

--
Jeff Forcier
Unix sysadmin; Python/Ruby developer