--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "brontebaxter8"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So what is the ego, an I or a Me? "Me" is something that things are
> done to. "I" is a doer.

>snip

> Yes, Vedic philosophy seems so
> unlimited. It speaks eloquently of the Unlimited. But it teaches you
> that to live the Infinite, you have to give up your personhood. I
> have found out from experience that simply is not true.

In order to understand the ego it is first useful to understand what
the soul is, as the ego usurps it's identity from the soul much like
Duryodana usurped the kingdom (awareness of spirit) from the Pandavas
in the Bhagavad Gita
thru a rigged game of dice (symbolizing the illusion of material
existence it's not real it's a 'game').

The soul is a pure reflection of God called the Jivatma, when in the
beginning when it was tempted by Lucifer (maya/avidya) in the Garden
of Eden (pure innocence) it was warned not to eat of the tree of
knowledge of Good and
evil or surely it would die (be subject to the wheel of
samasara/reincarnation).  Because it disobeyed and identified itself
with material creation (i.e. the flesh) it became trapped due to
attachment, the product of this identification is the 'ego' or the
pseudo-soul.

Evolution is the process of shedding this identification with illusory
matter (maya/avidya) and reestablishing the reign of soul (pure
spirit) or put another way enabling the Pandavas to regain there lost
kingdom from the wicked Kurus (sense
tendencies resulting in attachment & identification).

Ref. MMY Flower analogy.