Good synopsis and points. Actually the TM part seemed rather
insubstantial and the general impression came across that all the
scientific claims for TM (for cardiovascular effects, for instance)
did not amount to much when properly "reviewed". The following piece
from BBC Health News is all about the programme and there is not even
a mention of TM....

Scientists probe meditation secrets
By Naomi Law

Scientists are beginning to uncover evidence that meditation has a
tangible effect on the brain.

Sceptics argue that it is not a practical way to try to deal with the
stresses of modern life.

But the long years when adherents were unable to point to hard
science to support their belief in the technique may finally be
coming to an end.

When Carol Cattley's husband died it triggered a relapse of the
depression which had not plagued her since she was a teenager.

"I instantly felt as if I wanted to die," she said. "I couldn't think
of what else to do."

Carol sought medical help and managed to control her depression with
a combination of medication and a psychological treatment called
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

However, she believes that a new, increasingly popular course called
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) - which primarily consists
of meditation - brought about her full recovery.

It is currently available in every county across the UK, and can be
prescribed on the NHS.

One of the pioneers of MBCT is Professor Mark Williams, from the
Department of Psychiatry at the University of Oxford.

He helps to lead group courses which take place over a period of
eight weeks. He describes the approach as 80% meditation, 20%
cognitive therapy.

New perspective

He said: "It teaches a way of looking at problems, observing them
clearly but not necessarily trying to fix them or solve them.

"It suggests to people that they begin to see all their thoughts as
just thoughts, whether they are positive, negative or neutral."

MBCT is recommended for people who are not currently depressed, but
who have had three or more bouts of depression in their lives.

Trials suggest that the course reduces the likelihood of another
attack of depression by over 50%.

Professor Williams believes that more research is still needed.

He said: "It is becoming enormously popular quite quickly and in many
ways we now need to collect the evidence to check that it really is
being effective."

However, in the meantime, meditation is being taken seriously as a
means of tackling difficult and very modern challenges.

Scientists are beginning to investigate how else meditation could be
used, particularly for those at risk of suicide and people struggling
with the effects of substance abuse.

What is meditation?

Meditation is difficult to define because it has so many different
forms.

 By meditating, you can become happier, you can concentrate more
effectively and you can change your brain in ways that support that
Dr Richard Davidson

Broadly, it can be described as a mental practice in which you focus
your attention on a particular subject or object.

It has historically been associated with religion, but it can also be
secular, and exactly what you focus your attention on is largely a
matter of personal choice.

It may be a mantra (repeated word or phrase), breathing patterns, or
simply an awareness of being alive.

Some of the more common forms of meditative practices include
Buddhist Meditation, Mindfulness Meditation, Transcendental
Meditation, and Zen Meditation.

The claims made for meditation range from increasing immunity,
improving asthma and increasing fertility through to reducing the
effects of aging.

Limited research

Research into the health claims made for meditation has limitations
and few conclusions can be reached, partly because meditation is
rarely isolated - it is often practised alongside other lifestyle
changes such as diet, or exercise, or as part of group therapy.

So should we dismiss it as quackery? Studies from the field of
neuroscience suggest not.

It is a new area of research, but indications are intriguing and
suggest that meditation may have a measurable impact on the brain.

In Boston, Massachusetts, Dr Sara Lazar has used a technique called
MRI scanning to analyse the brains of people who have been meditating
for several years.

She compared the brains of these experienced practitioners with
people who had never meditated and found that there were differences
in the thickness of certain areas of the brain's cortex, including
areas involved in the processing of emotion.

She is continuing research, but she believes that meditation had
caused the brain to change physical shape.

Buddhist monks

In Madison, Wisconsin, Dr Richard Davidson has been carrying out
studies on Buddhist monks for several years.

His personal belief is that "by meditating, you can become happier,
you can concentrate more effectively and you can change your brain in
ways that support that."

In one study he observed the brains of a group of office workers
before and after they undertook a course of meditation combined with
stress reduction techniques.

At the end of the course the participants' brains seemed to have
altered in the way they functioned.

They showed greater activity in the left-hand side - a characteristic
which Davidson has previously linked to happiness and enthusiasm.

This idea that meditation could improve the wellbeing of everyone,
even those not struggling with mental illness, is something that is
exciting researchers.

Professor Williams believes it has huge potential.

"It involves dealing with expectations, with constantly judging
ourselves - feeling we're not good enough," he said.

"And, that is something which is so widespread in our communities.

"All of these things are just thoughts. And, they will come up in
meditation and learning to recognize what they are as thoughts, and
let them go, can be enormously empowering for anybody."

There is, of course, a distinct possibility that this research will
come to nothing and that interest in meditation will turn out to be a
passing fad, but for now this ancient discipline is being taken
seriously by scientists as a tool with potential to make each one of
us happier and more content.

Alternative Therapies: Meditation will be broadcast on Monday 31
March 2008 at 2100 GMT on BBC Two.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/health/7319043.stm

Published: 2008/03/31 09:58:59 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "gruntlespam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Just finished watching the program...
>
> If you are in the UK you can watch the program online at the BBC's
website - go to the
> iPlayer section. But you MUST be in the UK - ie. with a UK IP
address. If you are outside the
> UK, you will need to go via a UK proxy server, this will fool the
BBC website into thinking
> you are in the UK. Look on the web for such a service.
>
> Plus the program is only online for the next 7 days.
>
> http://tiny.cc/S9msm
>
> Synopsis:
>
> The presenter (a scientist - physicist) first does buddhist
meditation with Matthiew Ricard
> in Nepal (AKA "The Happiest Man Alive"). Sitting cross-legged on a
small stool; following
> her breath, days and days of practice etc.
>
> Then she (yes - she) looks at all the medical studies - and goes
off to Vedic City, as the
> most pure research she could find is by the TM movement. She's
given a tour of the SV
> houses, meets a nice TM family (the Johnsons) and then watches some
flying - and is
> invited onto the foam to try for herself in the physical sense.
Funny - she is laughing and
> no match for the male TMSP guys who have their flying down pat.
>
> But it's interesting how the flying does not shock her - she just
finds it amusing. The guy
> showing her around was a touch creepy, a real TBer I'm sure.
>
> She hears about the "Unified Field Theory" and remarks in the voice-
over how that's "not
> even been established yet". Shame they could not get John Hagelin
to have a chat with her.
> Don't know what she would have made of a fellow physicist - he is
very eloquent.

> She remarks how all the secrecy seems so odd, and baulks at the
$2,500 to learn!!! But
> she say how happy and content everyone looks. No mention of the ME.
>
> Then she has a teleconference with a TM scientist in Holland who
gives her the standard
> spiel. Then she goes back to the UK and looks at some of the
major "reviews" of research
> into TM and heart health. Concludes that TM is a shade better then
other techniques as far
> as the reviews are concerned.
>
> Then she moves onto other research on general buddhist "breath"
meditation etc, as is
> amazed at the MRI scanning evidence. "Cortical thickness" is 0.1 to
0.2 mm thicker in
> people who meditate etc..
>
> Then she talks to some doctors etc. who are doing "ground breaking
research" etc - and
> coming to conclusions that the TM research established decades ago.
It does take decades

<uns_tressor@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "uns_tressor"
<uns_tressor@>

> > > broadcast

> > > This is the programme's web page:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/34fgwp
> > > I think you would need to download the BBC's "IPlayer"
> > > software which is free. There is a time difference of
> > > seven hours.
> > > Uns.
> > >

> > Thanks for doing the research on this Uns, it saved me a job.
I'll