Correct, mantras are not prayers; that was not my point.  And although they are
semantically meaningless sounds, they have a rich history of very specific
religious and ritual associations and meanings, not fundamentally different in
how an adherent of either religion (Catholic or Hindu) would appreciate them.

So my point was not that mantras are prayers, even though I understand that
both are religion based, and do not exist independently from their religions,
except in a very careful, and thin, argument.  Again, anyone can say the
Catholic rosary without the slightest belief in any of the religious
underpinnings, and that is entirely analogous to the TMO's argument that the
silent repetition of Hindu mantras after a Hindu puja is not religious.  But
under a church/state analysis, it doesn't pass muster.

And I believe that many private citizens would and will object to its promotion
in the schools, even under the DLF.

**