 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:42 AM
 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: What are the *benefits* of believing in God?

   Science ain't gonna find it. It's transcendent to the four known forces of
nature, ontologically prior to them (and to everything else in the universe).

 LOL, what does that even mean! Nothing at all.

 No, it does mean something, it means someone wants to have their cake and eat
it. A god to worship but no way of ever proving it - just claim it can't be
measured. Well, maybe it's there and you can't measure it but it isn't doing
anything to help or explain so.....groundhog day.

Exactly.

 This why Hawking thinks philosophy is dead, they just aren't engaging with the
current paradigm which is proving to be rather successful. What we need is the
will to find out, not hide behind unprovable arguments.

You mean unprovable arguments like "metaphysical ultimacy?" I'm sorry, but that
strikes me as a made-up phrase designed to dazzle with bullshit rather than say
anything. It's like using the term Equus monoclonius to refer to a unicorn. It
makes it sound more impressive, while ignoring the fact that unicorns don't
exist. Obviously, some people are more easily dazzled by bullshit than others.
:-)

 The only way this idea is going to survive is if there isn't any way
everything could have got here without some sort of ontological transcendent
intelligence. You won't convince anyone about undetectable gods without
necessity. Until then we can project what whatever we like onto the universe.
It wouldn't be the first time!

 Again, speaking just for myself, I have no problem with people believing in
unicorns, or in God. It's when they attempt to waste my time by getting me to
argue about either mythical beast's existence that I cry bullshit.

 Yes, we are at a bit of an impasse with this debate. Good fun though.

 Atheist Eve makes some good contributions, never seen that strip before.