---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jedi_spock@...> wrote :

 Nice to meet you Krysto.

Islam sanctions institutionalised slavery.  A muslim man can
keep any number of non-muslim women as slaves.  He can also
keep any number of concubines, apart from his 4 wives.

Jihadi supremacists are serious about this stupid,
unscientific, barbaric religious ideology.  These
"revelations" are the delusions of a lunatic, and anybody
who believes them, are just like the people who believed
Hitler or Stalin.

C: Hey Jedi!

To add to your point, Sam's complaint about Islam is that it has not gone
through a reformation period in modern times like other popular religions. This
leads to a mismatch with modern views on all sorts of policy decisions like the
role of women in society, or even as whole persons with the same rights as men.
(We only let them vote in the 1920's for God's sake! My dad was born that year)

Sam's views on Islam represent his view that we have given a society wide pass
on evaluating religious ideas in a way not conferred to any other ideas in
society. It seems outrageous to rank religions according to a scale of human
rights abuse support found in the religions themselves or their scriptural
support for waging actual war on infidels. But there is a specific reason that
we don't have a problem with all the Buddhist terrorists in the world. Their
belief system does not support this behavior, so if a Buddhist goes postal, it
is all on the individual, not the religious support.

Sam believes that it is the moderate religious people in all religions who
protect the radicals by not allowing the fundamentals of their religion to be
questioned without crying, "bigotry."  He is against the ecumenical assumption
that all beliefs in religion should be treated with equal respect. He is not an
epistemological or cultural relativist. (It is Ok to mutilate woman in their
culture, we have no right to say it is brutal and sick. That is just their
belief after all so who are we to judge?)

---  <krysto@...> wrote :

 Talk of Sam Harris brings me out of the FFL shadows.

 Harris is, in my view, one of the clearest and boldest thinkers in the world
today.  One may disagree with any number of his positions (that radical Islam
presents a dire threat to the world, that free will is an illusion, that
science can guide our moral decisions) but the intelligence and power with
which he expresses himself is stunning.  The surprising twist that this
committed atheist and materialist is fascinated by the value that meditation
can provide makes him all the more interesting.  Go for it, Rick!