Actually, this distinction is pretty elementary with regard to neuroscientific
studies; it really isn't something that has just never occurred to the
researchers. Libet's studies, for example, looked directly at the apparent time
lag between decisions made on the unconscious level and when they came to the
subjects' conscious awareness. That's what his research was designed to measure.

 And aside from the fact that there are umpty examples of actions taken
consciously to alter unconscious processes, determinism per se would simply
assume the decision to engage in those actions was itself determined. IOW, that
one takes such actions in no way validates free will as far as determinists are
concerned. (BTW, determinism is a metaphysical idea, not a scientific one. It
can't be tested or measured. The emerging scientific notion is that free will
is an illusion created by the brain; has nothing to do with "fate" or "God's
will.")

 I think that the neuroscientists might be confusing the distinction between
*conscious* decision-making and *unconscious* decision-making when trying to
"prove" their contention that we have no free will. *Both* forms of
decision-making are present at all times.