On Jun 13, 2006, at 6:25 AM, sparaig wrote:

<curtisdeltablues@> wrote:

I would like my comment to be separated from any connection with

evaluating Jim personally.  In my communications he has passed the

much more important test in my world of being a nice, sincere guy.

I thought the Vedic System of MMY included the Yoga Sutras as the

tests for consciousness. At least that is how he presented it to us.

They were markers on the path, like belts in martial arts.  It seems

reasonable that the criteria included in the system should be met.

Well, duh...he was *selling* them for thousands of dollars.  :-)

More seriously, yes I think you're correct that he seems

to hold the siddhis up as some kind of 'standard' for

enlightenment, but he is one of the only spiritual

teachers I've encountered who does. Without exception,

all of the others I've seen personally have said just

the opposite, that there is no connection whatsoever

between the ability to manifest siddhis and enlightenment.

Just FYI.

Of course, that's not what he says.

What he (MMY) says is that UNLESS you are able to do the siddhis, you can't claim Unity,

not that the ability to [at least occassionally] do a siddhi means that you are in Unity.

He also says that perfection of any of the sidhis means that all are perfected, but aside

from a few famous avatars, how many people have ever been said to be perfect in any

way?

Siddhis belong to yoga-darshana and therefore CC (as you've been told here numerous times before). The darshana for UC is the Badarayana sutras, which to my recollection makes no mention of siddhis whatsoever.