> > I'm not really part of or terribly interested in this
> > conversation, but a funny thought just struck me.
> > How long do you think it will take after Maharishi
> > dies for the True Believers to add his name to the
> > puja?  I'd bet less than five years.
>
> As long as the TMO survives as MMY wants it tok, MMY's
> name will NEVER be part of the puja. He's had his official
> portrait added to the tradition of masters as a tiny figure
> in white standing respectfully to the side, well away from
> the river that flows through them.

Your point is slightly irrelevant. After he dies, the
TM movement will survive as the people who run it want
it to survive, not as Maharishi wants it. If they want
to "reinterpret" his wishes "creatively," they will
certainly do so. Just look at the history of *any*
spiritual movement after its teacher died.

I'd still bet on seeing a pretty determined program
of "Maharishi glorification." The movement will have
lost not only its figurehead, but also the *only*
person who could get press any time he wanted it.
The public will tend to ignore the TM movement as
passe (even more than they do now). So my bet is
that people will start coming up with "miracle stories"
and "healing stories" designed to portray Maharishi as
something Really Special.

This is really NOT a rap denigrating either TM or the
TMO or Maharishi. It's just my guess about what we
might see happen after Maharishi's death, based on what
has happened in hundreds of spiritual traditions after
their teachers' deaths.