On Thursday 24 July 2008 03:37:03 am Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 14:26 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 July 2008 12:06:58 pm Christoph Doerbeck wrote:
> > > Hi Jarod,
> > >
> > > We need to figure out how to package an older version of jack for
> > > fedora with ffado support enabled.  From a previous conversation I've
> > > had:
> > >
> > > "I've put up a modified version of jack 0.106.0 (aka 'the last know
> > > good') that includes the most recent firewire backend at:
> > > http://subversion.ffado.org/attachment/wiki/DevelopmentReleases/jack-au
> > >dio- connection-kit-0.106.99.tar.gz?format=raw
> > >
> > > I think it's a good idea to use that for packaging. Anything post
> > > 0.106.0 has too many issues, and there is no real need for more testing
> > > of these problems. We've fixed some of them, but there are still some
> > > well-described test cases that fail consistently. I can personally
> > > confirm that the current SVN is not workable.
> > > "
> >
> > Crud. This is gonna be messy, if it can be done at all. Given that Fedora
> > is at 0.109.2 already, we'd have a hard time talking the maintainer into
> > using that build,
>
> Well, it is not a stable system. Would not that be reason enough? (doing
> it is simple, we just need an epoch of "1"... :-) I don't see how the
> packager would be able to say that it works fine.

Unfortunately, I know approximately jack about jack, so I dunno what's busted
or not where. I know packaging-wise, its not hard to roll back, its the
convincing the maintainer to do so part that could take some doing, esp.
given...

> One problem is that some software needs post 0.107.0 to even compile! So
> downgrading is a real problem. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

...that 0.106.99 doesn't build locally for me, and as you said, other software
requires post-0.107.0. :\

> I have been using current svn and it is much better than 0.109.x, but
> some people have been having problems (thus the post).

I've got a reasonably recent local svn build of 0.112.0, svn r2721 installed
here to poke at for now.

> Actually, the only "stable" jack right now is jackmp, a newer
> implementation of the same API, written in C++. That one is good. If
> your Jack graph has parallelism, jackmp will execute what it can in
> different threads so that load will be spread amongst cores in a multi
> cpu system - something which does not happen in the normal jack. I have
> had experimental packages for Planet CCRMA for a while (that I have not
> yet released). Some (not properly written) software was having problems
> with it, but I think a patch was posted recently for one (the last?) of
> them, amSynth. So maybe it would be possible to release that for Planet
> CCRMA.

Can jackmp be installed in parallel with jack, or would you just package it as
jackmp w/Obsoletes: jack? (i.e., could this potentially get into the fedora
tree, or would it need to reside outside of it)

> > so we'd be looking at a compat package or an ffado-jackd package
> > or something along those lines. :\
>
> The problem is not unique to faado. Any use of jack is affected.

Gotcha. Didn't know it was that widespread. I'm quite the novice in the whole
audio area, really only getting involved to try to get things more functional
with the new firewire driver and library stack.

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]