On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 15:21 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2008 03:37:03 am Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > Actually, the only "stable" jack right now is jackmp, a newer
> > implementation of the same API, written in C++. That one is good. If
> > your Jack graph has parallelism, jackmp will execute what it can in
> > different threads so that load will be spread amongst cores in a multi
> > cpu system - something which does not happen in the normal jack. I have
> > had experimental packages for Planet CCRMA for a while (that I have not
> > yet released). Some (not properly written) software was having problems
> > with it, but I think a patch was posted recently for one (the last?) of
> > them, amSynth. So maybe it would be possible to release that for Planet
> > CCRMA.
>
> Can jackmp be installed in parallel with jack, or would you just package it
> as
> jackmp w/Obsoletes: jack? (i.e., could this potentially get into the fedora
> tree, or would it need to reside outside of it)

It could potentially get into Fedora. The problem is when. Most probably
it will be in Planet CCRMA long before it moves to Fedora.

Jackmp is actually going to be jack 2.0 when the time comes.

There was an experiment with wrapper scripts (which for some time I
begged the jack and jackmp developers to write) that enabled both to
live side by side, that is, the jack package could include both jackd
and jackdmp. Depending on which server you started the clients would
magically find their way to the right set of shared libraries.

Regretfully it was a failed experiment and it is no longer supported
(although I experimentally packaged it for a while). Some programs had
weird interactions with the magic needed to get this going and it was
rightly thought that it was better to spend developer man-hours in the
actual jack[mp] code.

Current jackmp svn versioning is 1.9x as a predecessor to jack 2, so
just packaging jackmp as jack-audio-connection-kit would be the right
thing to do. The problem is that you can't really go back once that hits
the repositories.

I have spec files that do just that, they build either normal jack or
jackmp depending on a %define.

> > > so we'd be looking at a compat package or an ffado-jackd package
> > > or something along those lines. :\
> >
> > The problem is not unique to faado. Any use of jack is affected.
>
> Gotcha. Didn't know it was that widespread. I'm quite the novice in the whole
> audio area, really only getting involved to try to get things more functional
> with the new firewire driver and library stack.

Yes, sorry, it is sometimes a bit more complicated than we would want it
to be :-)

Thanks for the effort and help!!
-- Fernando