On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 11:46 +0100, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

> Even if this mailing list is a good initiative, there is not much traffic
> (yet). Hopefully this will change in the future ?

I really hope so. Get as many packages as possible properly orchestrated
and create a good scene where both developers and musicians can find
what they need. :-)

I can fully understand the need for getting apps over to the more
well-known fedora repos before anything else, but at least to me it
looks like there are so many packages now that it may be time to look at
the rest.

Create a 'home' for something that may grow into a separate spin some
day. Forums/wiki? At least some informational pages that are current
with respect to supported fedora releases.

> My advice: also take a look at PlanetCCRMA.
> 1. Do a google search for "Planet CCRMA Fedora" or something like that and
> do some reading.
I did, and there were lots of talk about installing ccrma low-tatency
kernels and other mods to fedora 7 to 10. Nothing about 11 or 12.

> 2. Install the Planet CCRMA yum repo. The Planet CCRMA website will tell
> you why and how.
Again, no links to repos for 11 and 12. I feel pretty safe installing
packages from rpmfusion. Not so sure about installing packages from a
ccrma F10 repo on my work laptop...

> 3. Join also the planet-ccrma mailinglist. There are a lot of friendly and
> helpful people there, both experienced people and newbies sharing one
> passion: using Fedora to make music.
I'll have a look at the lists. When I didn't find any info for Fedora 12
on the web pages I kind of stumbled on to look elsewhere. Perhaps that
was a mistake.

> Read and learn more about the real time kernel, about (not) using
> pulseaudio, alsa, jack, configurations, and things like that.
Pulseaudio has changed a bit since F10 hasn't it? Again, I would like to
see how bits fit together in the supported Fedora releases. That would
make it less likely for newcomers to [beep] up ther config completely
trying to follow outdated guides...

> For serious music making many Fedora musicians use a combination of the
> Fedora repositories, planet-ccrma, and rpmfusion-free/nonfree
> repositories.
I have 3 kids with guitars. I have a keyboard somewhere. I need to learn
how to set up the software for them :-D Move over Jonas Brothers... The
future is getting ready.

birger