Another thought: Watch Spicey's teeth and gums. Not right now obviously but when things settle down. Yes, you can get a cat used to having its mouth opened. Good dental practices are important. Dixie had stomatitis and we treated it with Petzlife Brush Away (put a little in the cat's mouth and he will spread it around). Regular gum/ teeth checks will help you catch any anemia problems. They hit Dixie suddenly.