From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Kim
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:37 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] I killed my kitten last night...

Hi Natalie,
I've been doing this for 20 years now and this year has been my worst year
ever.  About 2 months ago, I removed a cat from the pound who just had 4
kittens the night before.  The kittens weren't even 24 hours old yet and
they were waiting in line to be pts.  Well, 2 weeks after she was in my home
she came down with a horrible URI and my vet assured me that the kittens
would be protected by the mother's milk and they would not get it.  Well,
long story short, they got it.  Then the mother cat decided to drown one in
the water bowl and she deheaded the other one.  After feeding the other 2
with a stomach tube and doing sub q fluids I had to take the last 2 of her
kittens to be put to sleep because they kept fading. The mother cat is doing
fine now though.  This is only a small sample of my year with kittens.
I was talking to my husband and we both feel like the kitten was given too
much wormer.  I doubt the kitten that only weighed 3/4 pound should have
been given the same amount as her siblings who weighed 2 and 1/4 pounds.
I can only go by what my vet tells me.  I brought them all in to the vet's
office when I first got them.  My first guess was worms when the little
kitten was throwing up.  My vet tested the poop samples and they came back
negative.  Then I was told the little kitten who was throwing up had mega
esophagus.  I babied her for a month and had her in and out of the vet's
office.  Thursday night when I saw the roundworms being thrown up I felt
like she would improve once wormed.  This time I saw a different vet in the
same office who agreed that she could be full of worms and that was causing
her to throw up; might not be mega esophagus.  The breathing problems only
started Monday night, 5 days before I saw the worms being thrown up.  I'm
trying not to blame myself but I do feel like if the vet had wormed them all
at four weeks old this would be a whole new story with a different ending.
I do blame myself for not being more assertive in getting them wormed
earlier.  My vet doesn't like to worm animals if their poop samples don't
show any signs of parasites.  I've told them time and time again that
animals can have normal samples but still have parasites.  They just don't
show up at the time of the testing.  I also blame myself for not questioning
my vet for not giving me an antibiotic to give at home when we were there on
Monday night.  She gave my kitten an antibiotic injection but nothing went
home with me.  When I was there on Friday getting them wormed I asked about
the need for antibiotics (in case she had pneumonia) and she told me that
she had forgotten to give me an antibiotic on Monday and remembered it after
we had left the office. I don't know why my vet couldn't have called me and
had me come back to get it.  When I left the vet's office on Monday my vet
told me that my kitten would most likely die that night. Well, she didn't,
she actually improved and was playing and eating well and throwing up
minimally.  She had a bad day Thursday and after I saw the worms being
thrown up I knew in my heart what her problem was all along.  I had very
high hopes of her improving after she was wormed but that didn't happen.  It
was her worst, last few hours ever.
I am so sorry about your kitten, Puddles.  I've raised the newborn orphans
for 20 years now (it's what I do for the humane society here because no one
else wants to put the time into them that's needed to keep them alive) and
I've syringe fed them all with very good outcomes.  I've lost only a handful
and several have had FeLV or congenital problems or neurological disorders
but have done well.  I appreciate what you did for Puddles and I know
Puddles did, too.
Kim

"...Saving just one pet won't change the world....but surely the world will
change for that one pet..."

The top ten reasons to spay and neuter your dog or cat were killed in a
shelter today.