Dear Vicky,

I haven't been involved in the felvtalk emails for awhile and I really do
not know the history of your cat or why you are considering FIP.

I do know that FIP is often fatal and relatively rapidly so.  If you are
truely dealing with FIP, I have known only one individual who has
successfullly treated the disease.

She used high dose IV Vitamin C.  If you really believe it's FIP you need
to treat aggressively, and now.  There are tests that can be done to
support your suspicions.

FIP is generally believed to be an over active immune response to a
particular mutated virus.  The virus can be tested for, but not the mutated
type.  Additionally, elevated levels of total protein and globulins
can suggest FIP.

If you have other cats in the house and you suspect FIP, separate them.
The virus is intestinal and easily transmitted in multicat homes.  You
never know who will get the mutated type though.

If you're intestered in trying IV vitamin C, you will have to commit to
finding a vet to administer it, be okay with putting in an IV catheter for
three days a week for four weeks, and be able to get a hold of the Vitamin
C.  I know a pharmacy that supplies it.  It costs about ten dollars a vial
and the vial should last you for one week so total about thirty or forty
dollars for the treatment.  The vet bills would be additional.

Things your vet would need to watch for during the infusion are
hypoglycemia (feed the cat during the infusion, it takes about an hour,
maybe two depending on how slowly you want to infuse) and hypocalcemia
(this is really really rare but it is always better to be prepared than
not) - they should have calcium gluconate on hand.  Additionally it helps
to give oral vitamin C after the infusion to avoid withdrawl issues.  I can
give you more specifics if you're interested

Hope this helps.

Jenny