Here is the excerpt from The Merck Veterinary Manual, in the chapter entitled
“Drugs Acting on the Blood or Blood-forming Organs”:

Anabolic steroids are compounds structurally related to testosterone that have
similar protein-anabolic activity but minimal androgenic effects, such as
masculinization. As part of their anabolic activity, these compounds increase
the circulating RBC mass and possibly granulocytic mass. Clinical indications
for use of anabolic steroids include chronic, nonregenerative anemias. Response
to therapy is variable, and the time to clinical improvement is long,
frequently ≥3 mo. The proposed mechanisms of action include increased ERP
production via ERP-stimulating factor, differentiation of stem cells into
ERP-stimulating factor-sensitive cells (eg, hemocytoblasts), and direct
stimulation of erythroid-progenitor cells. The effect of anabolic steroids
requires adequate ERP levels and sufficient cells in the bone marrow. Thus, the
effectiveness of anabolic steroids in treating anemia may be limited, depending
on the cause.

Anabolic steroids can be divided into 2 categories depending on the presence or
absence of an alkyl group at the 17-carbon position. They are available as oral
and parenteral preparations, including oil-based products intended for slow
release. The absorption and disposition of anabolic steroids depend on the type
of preparation and the animal species. Most are eliminated after hepatic
metabolism. The alkylated products are more effectively absorbed when given PO
and are more effective stimulants of bone marrow. Alkylated anabolic steroids
include oxymetholone (dogs and cats: 1–5 mg/kg, PO, every 18–24 hr).
Nonalkylated anabolic steroids include nandrolone decanoate (dogs: 1–1.5 mg/kg,
IM/wk; cats: 1 mg/kg, IM/wk; horse: 1 mg/kg, IM, once every 4 wk). Boldenone
undecylenate is approved for horses at 1.1 mg/kg, IM, every 3 wk. Side effects
of anabolic steroids include sodium and water retention, virilization, and
hepatotoxicity. The alkylated products are more hepatotoxic than the
non-alkylated products, particularly in cats. Cholestatic liver damage develops
early and can be significant but frequently is reversible.