My newer books refer to Z spun S plied yarns as being "normal" which is an
indication of frequency, not correctness.
Mable Ross in her Encyclopedia of Handspinning, under Z-Twist on p. 214
states "Commercial woollen-spun yarn, traditionally S-spun, is still
sometimes so spun."
I also checked my references to mill spinning and there is nothing about a
MUST on spinning and plying other than that to avoid odd twist, plying is
done in the opposite direction of the single yarns.
There is also ample literature about using one twist direction for warp and
the other for weft as it affects the way the intersections in a piece of
woven cloth interact and changes the appearance of the fabric.
I've never heard this "theory".
Actually  you may have something unusual - there is a type of knitting that
due to twisting the threads NEEDS Z-plied yarn.
Called Tvåändsstickning (Swedish twined or two ended knitting) it is a
knitting technique that demands the Z-ply because S-plied would untwist
using this technique - had a lady here in town looking for some and I had to
send her to Walstedt's Swedish wool factory as it is the only commercial
source.
You just might have something special there.
As far as I can tell from 50+ years  of knitting and 30+ of spinning, I've
never heard that  the initial spinning direction made any significant
difference in the finished stocking stitch knit fabric.
I'd certainly discount that person in your shop in terms of respect and
consideration of her teaching. There are other sources.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sa...@powercom.net

http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, vendors at Wisconsin Spin In