If ones doesn't have a cone holder when warping, one can use a reed
set on 2 chairs to direct the coned yarn up to one's warp measuring
device (gaaah, I hate using correct english) but that'd be a bit
unwieldy for directing single plies.

I like to use a lazy kate that stands the bobbins on end to get
tensioning from the weight of the bobbin. But I've only plied 4
singles together. I have enough slots in one hand to manage that.

Cynthia