Yeah, those people - gotta love 'em.
Last week I had some fat ladies come in and watch me working on some
scarves - with a stick shuttle because of the boucle weft and I don't use
floating selvages so know which of the 8 rows need to have the shuttle
"catch" the outside thread.
One of them juggling car keys a few inches from the gauzy warp pokes her
finger in an says loudly "YOU SKIPPED TWO THERE". I corrected her and
frostily enough that the car keys stepped back a bit.
Yesterday some woman came in - ostensibly a knitter and fiber arts teacher
and picked up a $30 cone of 20/1 linen - tries to pry a piece free to "test
it". I also let her know unmistakenly that someone who bought this might not
appreciate it.
There is no need to "tolerate" behavior that is detrimental to any other
person coming into a shop, with good manners and looking at damaged
merchandise.
If a weaver wants a linen sample for quality -the piece is taken off an open
cone - not the ones on the shelf - and non-weavers need to know this as
well.
Wonder what the fiber equivalent of "You break it you buy it" is.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sa...@powercom.net

http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, vendors at Wisconsin Spin In