I know that I'm not alone in this. . .
>From a clarinet player's perspective, in a fast moving, difficult piece with
a lot of detail (rhythmic, dynamic, etc.), it is darned near impossible to
read the second part when BOTH the first and second clarinet parts are on
one staff.  A third apart in the scoring is just way too close.

Consider that a composer can write something which is difficult and that the
players are sight-reading, and lucky to have run through the work once
before the concert.  As a composer, would you trust those tricky passages to
a player's ability to read what is on the page, when you have the option to
write it separately?

As was often the joke, King and Sousa marches which were on those 6 x 4"
pieces of paper were frequently hard to play. . .the smaller the page, the
harder the music.

Another thing which bugs me, is when a composer insists on writing for Bass
clarinet in bass clef and in A.  I believe that Wagner would have really
gotten complaints about his scoring, if he were writing today.  Modern
instruments are in B-flat, and treble clef is preferable.

The best parallel I can think of relates manuscript to office resumes.
Would you ever apply for a job, sending a cover page and resume on weird
paper, in a size 8 font, using a commercial script type font?  It's hard to
read, and human resources people will generally put it aside, rather than
decipher it.

Just my 2 cents,
Chris