At 12:13 PM 7/12/02 -0700, Lee Actor wrote:
>The way I handle this is to make a group out of all staves (divisi, soli,
>etc.) pertaining to a single part, while instrument changes and the like are
>handled by staff styles.  I think you may already have the tools to
>accomplish what you want.

Yes, you're right that there's a way to do pretty much anything, and these
methods of part production have gotten easier.

I'm only discussing an option that I think would improve handling
significantly, making it more logical and in keeping with how the music
progresses in a performance situation.

Such an option would define a new Finale level to be added to groups,
staves, layers, and voices that represents a player's part, called whatever
is useful - "player" or some such is good. (This was actually discussed a
few years ago on rec.music.compose.)

For example, parts could be extracted at the staff/group level (the way
it's done now) or the "player trail" level. The "player trail" would
extract to a separate player's part this entire trail, which would include
any staff, layer, voice, style, clef, expression, articulation, division,
Midi patch & data, etc., that was assigned to that player during input or
later editing.

It would be a *pre*-extraction way of guaranteeing a proper result, as
opposed to the time-of-extraction way it's done now.

In other words, the idea of a "player" is really another way of producing
the "part", but one I would find far superior to collecting staves here and
styles there to make sure everythind ends up in the proper player's basket.

I don't expect this to happen soon (it hasn't in 10 years), but it
certainly would make me salivate!

Dennis