On 19 Sep 2002 at 7:13, Robert Patterson wrote:

> On Thu, 19 September 2002, "Dennis W. Manasco" wrote:
>
> > A database that allows itself to be
> > irretrievably corrupted through reasonable user actions is a pretty
> > fragile database.
>
> I agree with this statement, but I do not agree that Finale's lyrics
> implementation conforms to it. It is true that many users have this perception
> of Finale's lyrics implementation, but the perceptions stems from a failure to
> understand (and master) that implementation. . . .

"Understanding" of the UI should be sufficient. In this instance, of
the of interfaces (type in score) suggests a kind of understanding to
the user that is counter to what is actually going on, yet is not
designed in a way to account for those differences.

> . . . I've yet (in recent times) to see a
> situation where clearing and re-assigning did not clear up problems, which means
> it isn't "irretrievably" corrupted. Furthermore, with understanding and
> forethought, you'll never run into the problem in the first place.

I was able to clear my problem and get the results I wanted.

I will avoid lyrics whenever possible, however. This ate up far too
much time.

> Someone said that the implementation is geeky. It *is* geeky, but (as Mark Lew
> eloquently stated) it is very powerful. Sometimes geeky is okay, even if it
> requires a little more thought than we'd like.

Geeky is one thing. Deceptive is another.

> The reason I say we must accept it is that the implementation is fundamental.
> Lyrics by definition (inside Finale) are assignments from sylabbicized text.

I think that an implementation that *forces* that on a user is a bad
implementation.

> There is no option of an "option". The other option would be text expressions,
> or else to glom on some new kind of lyric that is essentially a text expression.

When copying a block of music, appending copies of the source lyrics
to the end of the existing lyrics for the relevant verses strikes me
as a completely viable option, one that makes musical and UI sense.

--
David W. Fenton                         |
http://www.bway.net/~dfenton