At 03:58 PM 9/18/02 -0800, Mark D. Lew wrote:
>If it seems like I'm defensive of the system, it's because I'm a little
>miffed to see a person who, by his own admission, a week ago had no idea
>how lyrics work, and by the evidence of his posts still doesn't really
>understand it, nevertheless has the audacity to come along and tell us how
>the program ought to work.

I'm gonna defend David on this one, because although I've used Finale for
nearly 11 years, I despise using lyrics and find the whole system
distasteful and regressive.

When lyrics are not considered simple straight text as the default state,
but rather some sort of 'objects', then you're in geek mode. I think that's
just not acceptable behavior, and that anyone has adapted to it is only a
statement of their flexibility, not Finale's inherently nonsensical
implementation. In other words, David's freshes view is very likely the one
to return to in order to re-evaluate how it should be done for the next
update.

Lyrics are not notes or expressions. To treat them as such (and Finale is
not alone in this; Graphire does it as well) is programmer mentality,
something that should gradually vanish from all software that is not about
itself. Lyrics should be more like text and less like symlinks, even if
those features can be enabled.

I have avoided the whole lyrics nonsense by taking advantage of my typing
speed and entering everything always separately, no matter how many times
the same words are used. That's the only reliable way to be sure that what
you see is what you get.

In fact -- because the software is so abysmally poor at indicating
ownership -- I try to avoid most of Finale's "invisible" features like note
mirrors and lyrics clones. I'm still waiting for the day when rubber band
connections are shown for all expressions, and lyrics have identifying
shadows when they are copies/clones/mirrors -- along with a way to detach
such connections easily from their origins and reconnect them, make them
independent, or simply 'float' them as needed.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion. It's just that lyrics nightmares
remind me of how much psychological energy and time I've invested in this
program -- probably more than it took me to learn notation in the first place!

Dennis

Malted/Media                     http://maltedmedia.com/
Equestrian Music             http://equestrianmusic.com/
Kalvos & Damian's New Music Bazaar    http://kalvos.org/