At 7:19 pm -0400 9/18/02, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

>I'm gonna defend David on this one, because although I've used
>Finale for nearly 11 years, I despise using lyrics and find the
>whole system distasteful and regressive.

Thank you Dennis for standing up to say this. I seldom use lyrics
with Finale but, when I have, I have found them to be the most
error-prone, frustrating and potentially disastrous part of the
program.

At 9:33 AM -0400 9/18/02, David W. Fenton wrote:

>Oh, bollocks. This is an instance where Finale is fundamentally
>broken. <...> The real issue is that the process is not
>*reversible*, that once the mistake has been made, you can't undo it.

That is the most absurd part of the problem: That an "error in
judgement" in manipulating lyrics can cause (seemingly) irreparable
damage to your file. A database that allows itself to be
irretrievably corrupted through reasonable user actions is a pretty
fragile database.

At 7:02 am -0700 9/18/02, Robert Patterson wrote:

>The fact is, lyrics in Finale behave the way lyrics do.

With all due respect Robert, isn't that just a capitulation to
Finale's fundamentally flawed execution of something which it should
be capable of doing in a reasonable and predictably a priori manner?

At 9:33 am -0400 9/18/02, David W. Fenton wrote:

>How in the hell is somebody supposed to know that?

That's the feeling I've always had when I've been forced to work with
lyrics in Finale. Maybe I need a copy of "Finale Lyrics for
Imbeciles," but _every_ time I have had to use them some nasty
"program behavior" has reached up to bite me.

I worry about this from two perspectives:

1.    Irreparable corruption of a database is a bad thing. If the
lyrics database can be corrupted this easily, how easily can other
program databases be corrupted?

2.    Finale has to attract new users. The most common first project
for first-time users has got to be  a piano-vocal. How many demo
users try that and quit in frustration over the lyrics tool?

-=-Dennis