At 08:05 PM 2/27/04 +0200, Mr. Liudas Motekaitis wrote:
>I'm wondering if there isn't a faster way for you to do that. For example
>setting the measure metrics for each measure according to the actual tuplet
>lengths, using no barline. Then just add the barlines with the
>All-New-Super-Duper-I-Love-It Smart Expression Placements. I've used this
>already for a 5/4 time signature in which the composer calls for dotted
>barlines from time to time to show 2+3 or 3+2, respectively. It was fast!
>(But you have to get 2004...)

Alas, that copy protection...

I'll post the score PDF when it's done, because LP's 4VC#5 has lots of
things that look easy and aren't really even hard to perform, but which are
tricky to set as he wants them.

The bottom (first entering) voice is a straight 5/4 with the pulse in
quarters. The second voice is all various triplets (3:2 eighth and quarter
structures), which cross the barlines occasionally. The third voice is all
quintuplets (5:4 eighth structures), which de-sync from the triplets and
cross barlines every other measure, and cross bars on every other system.
The top (last entering) voice is back in straight 5/4 with no crossings,
but with four pulses of various combinations of eighth + dotted 16th + 16th
+ 32nd.

So there's no easy way to match the meter to the barlines. The barlines are
really only a visual convenience for the outer voices.

(Four Voice Canon #4 is even trickier, with an expanding bar size from 4
notes to 16, notes top-to-bottom across 5 staves at different times but
sometimes on the same stem, and otherwise no notes with stems, and no rests
shown even though the notes are all solid.)

Dennis