Dear Jack, David,

I did

"sudo mdutil -E /" then "sudo rm -fr /.Spotlight-V100"

it always chokes at about 9% done.  Something new I found using "Activity
Monitor", "Inspect" and "Open Files and Ports" is that in the entry:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc
->0x54cfd0

the pointer? address? "->0x54cfd0" alternates with something like
 "no FD socket available?"

I already repaired the permissions, and did "/sbin/fsck -fy" said ok.
Something strange is that some permissions, even after two passes, stay the
same, they are not set to their standard values.

Any clues?

Best and thanks,
Eduardo