At 13:32 -0700 on 2016-6-1 Alexander Hansen wrote:

 > On Jun 1, 2016, at 09:29, Alexander Hansen
 > <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 >   On Jun 1, 2016, at 08:42, Stefan Bruda <[2]ste...@bruda.ca> wrote:
 >   Hello,
 >   After the latest XQuartz update (to version 2.7.9) XEmacs refuses to
 >   run under X (but runs just fine in a terminal).  Here is how it
 >   fails:
 >   < godel:~ > xemacs
 >   Error: attempt to add non-widget child "*scratch*" to parent
 >   "Buffers" which supports only widgets
 >   To be on the safe side I did an selfupdate, update-all, and then
 >   rebuild XEmacs but the issue remains.
 >   The environment is as follows:
 >   < godel:~ > sw_vers
 >   ProductName: Mac OS X
 >   ProductVersion: 10.10.5
 >   BuildVersion: 14F1808
 >   < godel:~ > fink list xcode
 >   Information about 9387 packages read in 1 seconds.
 >   i   xcode                7.2.0.0.1.1447  [virtual package
 >   representing the developer tools]
 >   i   xcode.app            7.2.1-1         [virtual package
 >   representing Xcode]
 >   Advice is much appreciated.
 >   Best regards,
 >   Stefan
 >   --
 >   Stefan D. Bruda, PhD
 >   Professor of Computer Science
 >   Bishop's University
 >   2600 College St, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1M 1Z7, Canada
 >   Phone: +1-819-822-9600 x2374, Fax: +1-819-822-9661
 >   Web: <[3]http://bruda.ca>, Email: <[4]ste...@bruda.ca>
 >   PGP public key:
 >   <[5]http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD5DD6092>
 >   * No HTML emails and proprietary attachments please
 >   <[6]http://bruda.ca/ascii>
 >   * Quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
 >
 > Thanks for the report.  This is due to a compatibility break in libXt.
 >
 > I'm still on Xquartz-2.7.8, so I have:
 > Fionna-3:crypto hansen$ otool -L /sw/bin/xemacs | grep Xt
 > /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
 > version 7.0.0)
 > Xquartz 2.7.9 introduced libXt.dylib -> libXt.7.dylib, and
 > libXt.7.dylib is incompatible with some older windowing technologies.
 > The xemacs build will need to be modified to to use
 > /opt/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib , which fortunately is still present for
 > legacy compatibility.
 > --
 > Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
 > Fink User Liaison
 >
 > I'm retracting my earlier assumption above.  The change in libXt
 > currently only appears to affect Motif and Motif-using packages.
 >
 > I wasn't able to reproduce your issue here, so I'm not sure what's
 > going on.  The usual culprits may apply:
 >
 > 1)  Restart Xquartz or even log out or even reboot.
 >
 > 2)  Local emacs configuration.

Rebooting will not fix anything.

Eliminating the local configuration works in the sense that XEmacs
does launch and appears to work.  "Appears" however is the right word
here.  Indeed, anything that requires a progress bar (such as opening
a largish LaTeX file which implies font-locking producing a progress
bar) will crash the application with the following message:

    Error: attempt to add non-widget child "Progress" to parent
    "clip-window" which supports only widgets

Inserting

    (setq progress-feedback-use-echo-area t)

in the init file will allow XEmacs to run again, though this is not
solution really since this only masks the problem (for the only effect
of the above is the suppression of progress bars).  For instance for
some strange reason loading "un-define.el" results in yet another
crash, this time with the following error:

    Error: attempt to add non-widget child "*scratch*" to parent
    "Buffers" which supports only widgets

It would appear to me that the widget libraries have changed and
XEmacs no longer works within the current hierarchy.

In any event, I hope that the above is repeatable and I appreciate any
suggestion you might have.

Cheers,
Stefan