At 10:02 -0400 on 2016-6-2 Jack Howarth wrote:

 > So I assume you are talking about using extensions to emacs like
 > https://github.com/Malabarba/spinner.el/blob/master/README.org
 > rather than just the stock configuration?

Strangely enough this is (was, see below) all standard configuration.
After some thought I realized that it is quite possible that any
Athena item could cause the crash.  Sure enough, attempting to open a
file using the menu (which opens a dialogue) rather than the shortcut
(which uses the minibuffer) would cause the same kind of crash.  In
the end I concluded that the Athena library is the culprit.  I thus
rebuilt libxaw3dxft and libxaw3dxft-shlibs, then rebuilt xemacs, and
sure enough everything appears to be back in working order.

 > If so, it might be worth installing MacPorts (using their binary
 > repo) and trying their xemacs.

Fortunately this is no longer necessary.

 > Both of our packages are based on the 21.4.22 release whereas many
 > of the linux releases are based on newer development snapshots of
 > xemacs.  Note that MacPorts tried to switch to those but backed off
 > to the 21.4.22 release for stability.

The 21.5 branch does not add any Earth-shattering features really so
sticking with the tried and true seems to be the way to go.

In case you are wondering why am I insisting on using a dinosaur such
as XEmacs, I tried really hard to like the shiny new stuff and kind of
failed.  Having lost XEmacs on my main machine (however temporarily)
and thus my email client I have switched to the latest and greatest
namely, GNU Emacs 24.x.  The transition was kind of painless, though I
did have to get several elisp packages to reproduce behaviour already
included in XEmacs and I missed the ability to have buttons in the
menu bar.  This being said, GNU Emacs is dog slow compared to the gool
ol' XEmacs.  For example, hitting reply in XEmacs produces the
composition frame quasi-instantaneously, while in GNU Emacs I get to
enjoy watching the frame opening for several seconds before having a
composition buffer...

I any event, thank you for all the suggestions and sorry for the rant.
I hope that the information about libxaw3dxft is useful.

Cheers,
Stefan