I agree with you Paul that frequency of injury occurence due to a particular
type of weapon is just as important as its average cost to treat when
estimating what the total health cost is for that approach. We also have that
nasty issue of intent to deal with. How much does the injury a victim receive
reflect the desire of the criminal to inflict that level of injury, regardless
of the weapon used? If certain harm is desired than the relative cost of injury
between methods could diminish to some extent in spite of any substitution
effects. There are probably many other factors too that might affect some
estimates of relative health cost between types of armed aggression.

Regardless, just as we have various measures of crime in Britian we should be
able to generate various estimates of the costs to the public for the treatment
of total and gun criminal violence, thereby allowing us to possibly
substantiate whether or not further efforts on gun crime reduction is
beneficial to the British public.

-C