One has to marvel at the mindset of bureaucrats when reporting on
politically sensitive subjects. I think the following fits Eugene's rules
for discussion, so from the report/pages
. . .

        "or from a misguided idea about self-protection"

Their comment was not fully described, so I have to guess that the
government feels that there are adequate alternatives to firearms for
self-protection (I say tongue-in-cheek given the U.K. government's well
establish beliefs concerning where protection comes from).  I perceive this
as a logic trap: to wit:

        a) The government provides protection
        b) Thus, any alternative is unnecessary
        c) Contrary information not withstanding

This logic (or lack thereof) falls apart on two levels:

1) First, it presumes that the protection offered by the government is
effective and plentiful.  I think it can be stipulated that because of "the
rise in the number of young people carrying real or imitation firearms . . .
[for] self-protection", there is a conclusion by citizens that government
protection is neither effective nor plentiful.

2) It eliminates comparisons to alternatives, and thus one never knows for
certain if the government is providing adequate services.

Now, given these logic bombs, the alleged justification for the report is
"We want an open and wide-ranging debate, in advance of deciding what action
might need to be taken" may be self-contradictory -- I think there is an
oxymoron afoot.  Given the assumptions the government is making about the
quality of their protective services, is there any real latitude for debate?
Likely not.

Which makes Peter's original clip sadly amusing.

        "Contrary to public perception, the overall level of
        gun crime in this country is relatively low - less
        than half of 1% of all crime recorded by the police"

Let me get this straight:

1) Gun crime rates are low
2) But there is a worrying rise in carrying for firearms
3) Which is not an indicator of a high crime rate
4) So we better do something about it!

Guy Smith
Author, Gun Facts
www.GunFacts.info