I might have a theory on that subject. With HT you share the same
execution blocks among two pipelines (meaning you are trying to balance
twice as many threads/instructions and so on, without increasing reorder
caches/registers/data and instruction caches and other important factors).
On a normal PC you have threads with different profiles - media streaming,
integer calculations and so on, so most tasks don`t overlap as much and
you feel a big boost.
With the database (or any other dedicated server for that matter), on the
other hand, you have basically the same profile for all threads and you
starve the CPU from certain blocks/registers, while you don`t really
utilize the others. You also have some kind of synchronization between the
two pipelines.
When you have a single user (filling the info in the database) you don`t
feel the difference because it is basically the same CPU core doing the
work.

I could be wrong on that one, but under ultra heavy loads I guess all
those things will be noticeable.