> > less doing nothing.
> > > Hi Alex,
> > >
> > > it is Super Classic.
> > >

> > Let me pay your attention that in initially described case use of
> > classic made all cores loaded. How does your server behave with classic?
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> It is a very important production server and I can't find a good way to make
> tests on it by switching to classic. Thing is, the connections are very short
> lived, so it is a nice feature that the threads are spawn very quickly by
> Firebird. I have seen another, similar server (32 cores Win2k8R2) with FB2.1
> CS which seems to distribute load evenly, so I guess the problem lies in
> thread handling - not if FB but in Windows itself.
>
> I will try to install an update for Windows as it seems to be a well known
> problem with Windows 7/2008R2 vs AMD Bulldozer architecture, so the
> following hotfix may just be a solution (there are two hotfixes, the other one
> is referred to in the article):
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060
>
> I will re-post once we have had opportunity to update the server, which will
> probably not be until the weekend.

I installed the above mentioned hotfix from MS (toghether with the prerequisit
KB2645594) this past weekend. Today I see:
   - exactly the same.
 55 threads (according to task manager) in FB 2.5.1.26351 SC (Super Classic)
spread over only 8 of the 32 cores on the Win2008R2 SP1 server (see hw specs
above). The cores aren't max'ed out, so at least in princip there is an excuse
for not firing up the remaining 24 cores. But, somehow I'd be more happy to see
an equal load on all cores.

In other words - the hotfix didn't change anything noticably.

Does FB decide anything regarding on which cores to run, or is it entirely a
Windows decision? I imagine the latter, but of course we have the "affinity"
parameter in the config file for super server installations, so at least it is
possible to influence choice of processor core.

Are there any suggestions what I should try to do next? We have actually 2
similar servers, both running 2.5.1SC (for now). The other server COULD be
equipped with CS instead, if that would make a lot of sence as a trial. Even
SS, as it primarily serves a lot of different databases with only a few
connections on each.

Your call, Alex :)

Best regards
Poul