On 11/19/12 18:59, Poul Dige wrote:

>>> less doing nothing.

>>> Let me pay your attention that in initially described case use of
>>> classic made all cores loaded. How does your server behave with classic?
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> It is a very important production server and I can't find a good way to make
>> tests on it by switching to classic. Thing is, the connections are very short
>> lived, so it is a nice feature that the threads are spawn very quickly by
>> Firebird. I have seen another, similar server (32 cores Win2k8R2) with FB2.1
>> CS which seems to distribute load evenly, so I guess the problem lies in
>> thread handling - not if FB but in Windows itself.
>>
>> I will try to install an update for Windows as it seems to be a well known
>> problem with Windows 7/2008R2 vs AMD Bulldozer architecture, so the
>> following hotfix may just be a solution (there are two hotfixes, the other
>> one
>> is referred to in the article):
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060
>>
>> I will re-post once we have had opportunity to update the server, which will
>> probably not be until the weekend.
>>
> I installed the above mentioned hotfix from MS (toghether with the
> prerequisit KB2645594) this past weekend. Today I see:
>     - exactly the same.
>   55 threads (according to task manager) in FB 2.5.1.26351 SC (Super Classic)
> spread over only 8 of the 32 cores on the Win2008R2 SP1 server (see hw specs
> above). The cores aren't max'ed out, so at least in princip there is an
> excuse for not firing up the remaining 24 cores. But, somehow I'd be more
> happy to see an equal load on all cores.

Ahh - they are not full loaded? Probably I did not notice that fact
before, sorry. In that case I suppose windows does the best for your
performance - keeping less cores active lets them run at higher
frequency (if I understand correctly how does your CPU work).

> In other words - the hotfix didn't change anything noticably.
>
> Does FB decide anything regarding on which cores to run, or is it entirely a
> Windows decision? I imagine the latter, but of course we have the "affinity"
> parameter in the config file for super server installations, so at least it
> is possible to influence choice of processor core.
>
> Are there any suggestions what I should try to do next? We have actually 2
> similar servers, both running 2.5.1SC (for now). The other server COULD be
> equipped with CS instead, if that would make a lot of sence as a trial. Even
> SS, as it primarily serves a lot of different databases with only a few
> connections on each.
>
> Your call, Alex :)

If 8 cores are not 100% loaded, this becomes more windows + amd rather
than firebird issue. I give up.