On 10-11-2014 20:57, Norman Dunbar wrote:
> 1. The title - should it not be "Firebird SQL Database Guide" as opposed
> to "SQL Firebird Database Guide"? The latter seems a bit back to front.
>
> 2. There are some strange language constructs - "This language subset is
> used for developing the stored ...." - the "the" is superfluous in this
> sentence. There are other examples through-out the text.

I actually don't think the translation is very bad, but it will need a
lot of work in editing after translation if the entire translation is
done like this with incorrect use of the/a/an, weird language use (eg
operator instead of statement, launched instead of executed) and
domain-contextually incorrect language.

But I think translating technical documentation on a subject you are not
familiar with is simply hard. Maybe the translator should take a crash
course databases and read the old IB 6 documentation ;)

> 3. Some of the examples of SQL language seem to have lost spaces - we
> have DECLAREVARIABLE and EXECUTEPROCEDURE etc.

As it also (sometimes) happens inside the code examples, I have the
feeling this might be a problem with the source used for translation,
and not with the translation itself.

> 4. The use of "A" when "the" is required - "A header of a trigger must
> ..." should be "The header of a trigger ..." for example.
>
> 5. The section on triggers (section 3) has an interesting first
> paragraph. Perhaps it's just me, but I found it very hard to understand
> it as written.

Who knows, maybe the original Russian text is not that good either; we
have no way to know :P. Using google translate on the same paragraph
gives a very similar text.

> 6. Overall, I'm not sure the quality of this translation is very good.
> As I mentions, I'm loathe to criticise, but to me, the text doesn't read
> very well at all.

Yes, but I think that is largely due to selecting the wrong terms; that
is something that needs to be addressed no matter what translation
service you use.

> And finally, a comment on the layout, the indenting of the section
> headings is strange when the text of each section begins further to the
> left. Sub-sections should probably be numbered as "section.sub-section"
> rather than starting again at 1 for each. So the following on the first
> page for example:

That is probably more a 'feature' of the selected Word styling than
anything else. When talking about translations this is the least of your
worries ;)

Mark

--
Mark Rotteveel