Title: Re: [Firebird-docs] Langref - Expressions/Constant
Hello ,

Monday, February 1, 2016, 8:25:55 PM, Michał Ziemski wrote:

Hi!

I've been going through the beta langref.
In fblangref25-commons-expressions there is a description for "Constant":
"A number; or a string literal enclosed in apostrophes"

This should also include string literat with encoding provided, like:
_utf8 'abc123' or _win1250 'abc123'

The "introducer syntax" for forcing the character set of string literals is
actually discussed in the DML chapter, under the INSERT statement.
However, I agree with you, it should be in the "Common Elements", since it
is not restricted to INSERT statements.  Other discussions should link to
that.

It would be also helpful to expand somewhat on constant number format that
- dot is the decimal spearator
- exponential notation is supproted (like 2.3e-5)

Amazingly, so far everyone except you has overlooked that
exponential notation for numeric constants is valid but missing.

And yes, I agree it is worth including a note that the "dot" character
is the only valid decimal separator in SQL...and probably also that thousands
separators (be they comma, dot or space) are not valid at all.

Some more good catches!

Cheers,
Helen