Hi!

> I've been going through the beta langref.
> In fblangref25-commons-expressions there is a description for "Constant":
> "A number; or a string literal enclosed in apostrophes"
>
> This should also include string literat with encoding provided, like:
> _utf8 'abc123' or _win1250 'abc123'
>
> The "introducer syntax" for forcing the character set of string literals
> is
> actually discussed in the DML chapter, under the INSERT statement.
> However, I agree with you, it should be in the "Common Elements", since it
> is not restricted to INSERT statements.  Other discussions should link to
> that.

A few more ideas to clarify string constants:
 - abyility to include an apostrophe in sring by using 2 apostrophes:
'john''s car'
 - I'd stress thet only an apostrophe is allowed and double quotest serve
other purpose -
this is isn't always the case in other DBs (MS Access for example) and I
remember
having problem with it myself when I was yet new to FB.

Column name expression:
 - Firebird converts table/column names to upper case internally. I think
this should be explicitly stated as it's, I believe, failrly unique to
firebird
 - double quotes can be used to make the field case sensitive and allow for
some wild characters inside the symbol (spaces, parentheses and so on)
 - it'd be convenient to state which characters are allowed in a symbol name
and which are allowed in a quoted symbol name

Cheers!
Michał