Well, thanks :) I haven`t really been in touch and didn`t know there`s a
github repo. I got the sources from there and the error switched to
 FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.FbException (0x80004005): Value cannot be
null.
Parameter name: stream ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be
null.
Parameter name: stream
   at System.Resources.ResourceReader..ctor(Stream stream)
   at System.Resources.ResourceSet..ctor(Stream stream)
   at FirebirdSql.Data.Common.IscException.CreateResourceSet(String
resourceName)

Now ... I can confirm that the exact same code works when the server is 32
bit windows. However, I cannot restore to a 64 bit linux server. All my
hosts are version LI-V2.5.2.26540 Firebird 2.5.I tried an Arch and an LFS
host. Both built by me, personally, with no extra tuning of the process. My
laptop is on OpenSUSE, same version - same problem. Backup is still working
:)

I`ll keep digging and try to see what exactly is different. So far I can
only say that the exception is thrown during the second pass of the reading
loop, by the line

 response = Query(items); // FbStreamingRestore.cs, line 106

If you happen to have a linux machine to test on - I am curious whether
you`ll have the same issue :)