On 2016-05-03 23:45, Kyle Green wrote:
> Thank you, I have done as you suggested, and the connection string
> works!
>
> However the user I created has no permissions, not even select
> permissions:
>
> my log shows 5/3/2016 3:36:11 PM: no permission for SELECT access to
> TABLE BLOGS ( and for every other attempt to access data)
>
> I had named my User "LegacyUser" (was that a mistake?). Then, while
> attached to the database through FlameRobin, ran these:
>
> GRANT rdb$admin TO USER LegacyUser;
>
> Above did not allow access, so I tried this:
>
> ALTER USER LegacyUser GRANT ADMIN ROLE;
>
> Even after this, the error at the top still appears.
>
> I have always used SYSDBA account for my web applications, so I have
> no experience with user accounts.
>
> What might be missing?

You could just create a legacy SYSDBA (it might already exist, in which
case you just need to change the password). However using SYSDBA for a
(web) application is a bad idea, because it has all rights on all
databases on the Firebird server. You should create a user that has the
minimal rights necessary for your application to work.

As to the specific problem : roles are only applied when you specify
them on connect in the connection string (for Firebird .net provider
property: Role=RDB$ADMIN) or - since 3.0 - after connect with SET ROLE.
No role specified means that you only get the rights assigned to PUBLIC
and the user itself.

For RDB$ADMIN specifically, you can enable auto admin mapping, which
means that the user will get the role implicitly when logged in. See
http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/reference_manuals/fblangref25-en/html/fblangref25-security-auth.html#fblangref25-security-autoadminmapping

But I'd strongly advise you to create a specific role with only the
necessary rights.

Mark