I agree with Arturo.  I understand information exclusively as matter and
energy, and the diversity of their states through space/time.  What else it
there?  The alternative would be to accept ‘information’ as merely an heuristic
concept that helps us to communicate and make sense of our lives without the
goal of identifying real phenomena.  I think the freedom to create and use such
heuristic concepts is essential for many reasons, but we are constantly
challenged as scientists with distinguishing between these terms and those we
think and hope approximate real phenomena.  A grad student I worked with
suggested the term “tool words” to label terms we recognize as mainly
heuristic.  As an evolutionary biologist, I would suggest the term “fitness”
has been a very useful heuristic term, but that “fitness” does not actually
exist.  This statement might surprise or even put off many of my colleagues,
which I think illustrates the problem caused by failing to make this
distinction explicit.  As I have argued before, I think clearly distinguishing
between ‘information’ and ‘meaning’ would be a good first step in this
direction.

Regards,

Guy

Guy Hoelzer, Associate Professor