Dear Terry and FIS friends - I agree with all that Terry has said about agency.
I do wish to however to point out that an agent has choice and a non-agent has
no choice. I would suggest that the defining characteristic of an agent is
choice and therefore an agent must be a living organism and all living
organisms are agents. Agents/living organisms have choice or are capable of
choice or agency and they are the only things that have choice or can interpret
information. Abiotic non-agents do not have information because they have no
choice. We humans can have information about abiotic objects but those objects
themselves do not have that information as they have no mind to be informed.
That includes this email post, it is abiotic an has no agency. It has
information by virtue of you reading it because you are able to interpret the
visual signs with which I have recorded my thoughts. Marshall McLuhan would add
to my comments that “the user is the content” as well as saying that Shannon’s
work was not a theory of information but a "theory of transportation”. I think
of Shannon’s work in a similar light. I also do not regard Shannon’s work as a
theory of information but it is a theory of signals. Shannon himself said his
theory was not about meaning and I say what is information without meaning and
that therefore Shannon only had a theory of signals.

Another insight of McLuhan’s that of figure and ground is useful to understand
why we have so many different definitions of information. McLuhan maintained
that one could not understand a figure unless one understood the ground in
which it operates in. (McLuhan might have gotten this idea from his professor
at Cambridge, I. A. Richards, who said that in order to communicate one needs
to feedforward [he coined the term btw] the context of what one is
communicating.) The different definitions of information we have considered are
a result of the different contexts in which the term information is used. We
should also keep in mind that all words are metaphors and metaphor literally
means to carry across, derived from the Greek meta (literally ‘across') and
phorein (literally 'to carry'). So the word information has been carried across
from one domain or area of interest to another. It entered the English language
as the noun associated with the verb 'to inform', i.e. to form the mind. Here
is an excerpt from my book What Is Information? (available for free at
demopublishing.com):
"Origins of the Concept of Information - We begin our historic survey of the
development of the concept of information with its etymology. The English word
information according to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) first appears in
the written record in 1386 by Chaucer: 'Whanne Melibee hadde herd the grete
skiles and resons of Dame Prudence, and hire wise informacions and techynges.'
The word is derived from Latin through French by combining the word inform
meaning giving a form to the mind with the ending “ation” denoting a noun of
action. This earliest definition refers to an item of training or molding of
the mind.” This is why abiotic objects have no information as I claimed above
because they have no mind that can be informed.

I hope that by informing you of the origin of the word information I have shed
some light on our confusion about what is information and why we have so many
definitions of it. It might even shed some light for that matter as to what is
an agent. Got the ticket? If so that makes me a ticket agent. I hope you get
the joke. all the best - Bob

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Fellow University of St. Michael's College
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications
https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/people/homepages/logan/